The Lantern Pike Inn: Pub, Restaurant and B&B Accommodation in Hayfield.
Frequently Asked Questions
Open AllClose All
- How did the Pub get its unusual name?
- Until 1950 the pub was known as The New Inn but changed its name to
the Lantern Pike Inn in recognition of the hill directly behind the pub.
The hill is called Lantern because it was the site for the local Beacon in
bygone days. A pike is "a hill with a peak"
- Where is Little Hayfield?
- We are located on the A624, about half way between Glossop and
Chapel-en-le-Frith and about ¾ mile from Hayfield. Have look at our
map to see our exact location.
- How do I get to you on public transportation?
- Little Hayfield is very well served by public transport; there is a bus stop
outside the pub in both directions. Buses to and from New Mills, Buxton,
Glossop (No 61), Macclesfield (No 64) and Stockport (No 356) all stop
outside the front of the pub.
- How many people can you accommodate?
- We have five en-suite rooms: two twins and three doubles giving a total
of ten adults. We also have a "put-u-up" bed suitable for a child
- When Can I Check in & out>
- Check in is any time after 12pm, and check out before 11am at the latest.
- Are you in a good location for walking?
- Most definitely, in fact you can begin your walk across Kinder Scout
(the highest point in the Peak District) directly from our front door.
There are also many other enjoyable walks varying in length and
degree of difficulty starting from our front door.
- How far are you from ...
- Hayfield - 0.75 mile
Glossop and Glossop Railway Station - 4 miles
Chapel-en-le-Frith - 4 miles
New Mills and New Mills Railway Station - 4 miles
Stockport - 12 miles
Buxton - 13 miles
Manchester City Centre - 17 miles
Chatsworth House - 22 miles
Sheffield - 28 miles
- Where is the nearest airport?
- Manchester International Airport. Approx. 19 miles or 30 minutes drive from
The Lantern Pike Inn.
- Do you have showers or bathtubs in your rooms?
- All the double rooms have a bath and a shower; the twin rooms have
just a shower.
- Do I have to leave the room during the day?
- You are welcome to stay around and have a relaxing day, sit in our
colourful beer garden, during good weather, or chill out in the pub
during opening hours, all we ask is that you vacate your room some
time in the morning so we may clean and replenish anything you
- Do you serve Lunches and Evening Meals?
- Yes, lunches are served Tuesday through to Sunday and evening meals
are available every night of the week. Please check with us for the
times of the last orders.
- I am a walker/cyclist/tourist, can I order a packed lunch?
- You most certainly can, it typically consist of a sandwich (meat or cheese)
with a packet of crisps and a drink. Please order your packed lunch the
- What do you offer for Breakfast choices?
- You can choose from Full English (egg, bacon, sausage, beans,
tomato, mushrooms) complemented with cereals, toast, various jams,
marmalade and honey or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.
Continental is also available ~ pastries, fruit.
Tea and fresh ground Kenco coffee are also included.